Discovery Place Museums
Put Discovery Place at the top of your back-to-school checklist!!
A regional network of four hands—on museums (science, nature, and two kids Museums), an Outreach team, and newly developed digital content are all designed to engage and inspire our community to learn science, nature, and design.
Educator CONTACT INFO
SELECT A PROGRAM
DRIP DRIP Drought
Dive into the amazing natural resource
that is water and learn about the hydrosphere.
Students will conduct water quality testing,
discover the importance of water conservation
and availability and learn about the
Booking / scheduling contact
Discovery Place Science
301 North Tryon Street
Charlotte, NC 28202
$20.00 per student (includes museum admission) plus any applicable sales and use taxes. 1 chaperone per 10 students is required and admitted for free. Additional chaperones, booked in advance, are admitted at the $15.02 school rate.)
R1- Read closely to determine what the text says explicitly and to make logical inferences from it; cite specific textual evidence when writing or speaking to support conclusions drawn from the text (in our case follow written instructions to complete activities and experiments and make conclusions).
R7 -Integrate and evaluate content presented in diverse media and formats, including visually and quantitatively, as well as in words (in our case participate in hands-on activities and experiments that result in observations and conclusions).
R10 -Read and understand complex literary and informational texts independently and proficiently, connecting prior knowledge and experiences to text (in our case science and technical writing).
SL1 – Prepare for and participate effectively in a range of conversations and collaborations with diverse partners, building on others’ ideas and expressing their own clearly and persuasively (in our case working in groups, sharing ideas and communicating ideas and findings with others).
SL2 – Integrate and evaluate information presented in diverse media and formats, including visually, quantitatively, and orally (in our case participation in labs and programs where ideas and questions are presented using various media).
SL4 – Present information, findings, and supporting evidence such that listeners can follow the line of reasoning and the organization, development, and style are appropriate to task, purpose, and audience (in our case working in groups, sharing ideas and communicating ideas and findings
Earth Systems, Structures, and Processes
- NCES.8.E.1 – Understand the hydrosphere and the impact of humans on local systems and the effects of the hydrosphere on humans.
- NCES.8.E.1.1 – Explain the structure of the hydrosphere including (a)Water distribution on earth;(b)Local river basin and water availability.
- NCES.8.E.1.2 – Summarize evidence that Earth’s oceans are a reservoir of nutrients, minerals, dissolved gases, and life forms: Estuaries, Marine ecosystems, Upwelling, Behavior of gases in the marine environment, Deep ocean technology and understandings gained.
- NCES.8.E.1.3 – Predict the safety and potential potability of water supplies in North Carolina based on physical and biological factors, including: Temperature;Dissolved oxygen;pH; Nitrates and phosphates; Turbidity;Bio-indicators
- NCES.8.E.1.4 – Conclude that the good health of environments and organisms requires: Monitoring of the hydrosphere; Water quality standards; Methods of water treatment; Maintaining safe water quality; Stewardship
A cancellation notice of three weeks is required for a full refund. Cancellations with less than three weeks’ notice are non-refundable but may be rescheduled for a visit within a 12-month period. There is no fee for rescheduling as long as the class or visit is rescheduled within one week of the cancellation date and the visit is completed within 12 months of the originally scheduled date. Changes to the number of attendees must be made three days prior to the program or visit to receive a refund. No refunds will be issued the day of the visit, and no refunds will be issued for amounts of $10.00 or less.