Discovery Place Museums
Put Discovery Place at the top of your back-to-school checklist!!
A regional network of four hands—on museums (science, nature, and two kids Museums), an Outreach team, and newly developed digital content are all designed to engage and inspire our community to learn science, nature, and design.
Educator CONTACT INFO
SELECT A PROGRAM
ENERGY, ENERGY, ENERGY
Without energy, we wouldn’t be able
to listen to music, play sports, or finish
our homework. Students will identify
energy and energy transformation as
amazing demonstrations illuminate the
the science behind electrical, chemical and
Booking / scheduling contact
A mileage fee is applied to all Outreach programs. Mileage is charged at $25.00 per Mecklenburg County visit and $.75 per mile for all out-of-county visits. Travel requiring overnight lodging for the educator is billed at $150.00 per educator per night.
A gap fee of $150 will be charged for every 60-minute gap between programs.
Your location, we come to you.
Assemblies are $450 per presentation
R1- Read closely to determine what the text says explicitly and to make logical inferences from it; cite specific textual evidence when writing or speaking to support conclusions drawn from the text (in our case follow written instructions to complete activities and experiments and make conclusions).
R7 -Integrate and evaluate content presented in diverse media and formats, including visually and quantitatively, as well as in words (in our case participate in hands-on activities and experiments that result in observations and conclusions).
R10 -Read and understand complex literary and informational texts independently and proficiently, connecting prior knowledge and experiences to text (in our case science and technical writing).
SL1 – Prepare for and participate effectively in a range of conversations and collaborations with diverse partners, building on others’ ideas and expressing their own clearly and persuasively (in our case working in groups, sharing ideas, and communicating ideas and findings with others).
SL2 – Integrate and evaluate information presented in diverse media and formats, including visually, quantitatively, and orally (in our case participation in labs and programs where ideas and questions are presented using various media).
SL4 – Present information, findings, and supporting evidence such that listeners can follow the line of reasoning and the organization, development, and style are appropriate to the task, purpose, and audience (in our case working in groups, sharing ideas, and communicating ideas and findings
- NCES.3.P.3.1- Recognize that energy can be transferred from one object to another by rubbing them against each other.
- NCES.3.P.3 – Recognize how energy can be transferred from one object to another.
- NCES.4.P.1.2 – Summarize how electrically charged objects push or pull on other electrically charged objects and produce motion.
- NCES.4.P.3.1 – Recognize the basic forms of energy (light, sound, heat, electrical, and magnetic) as the ability to cause motion or create change.
- NCES.7.P.2.1 – Explain how kinetic and potential energy contribute to the mechanical energy of an object.
- NCES.7.P.2.2 – Explain how energy can be transformed from one form to another (specifically potential energy and kinetic energy) using a model or diagram of a moving object (roller coaster, pendulum, or cars on ramps as examples).
- NCES.8.P.2.2 – Explain the implications of the depletion of renewable and nonrenewable energy resources and the importance of conservation.
A cancellation notice of three weeks is required for a full refund. Cancellations with less than three weeks’ notice are non-refundable but may be rescheduled for a visit within a 12-month period. There is no fee for rescheduling as long as the class or visit is rescheduled within one week of the cancellation date and the visit is completed within 12 months of the originally scheduled date. Changes to the number of attendees must be made three days prior to the program or visit to receive a refund. No refunds will be issued on the day of the visit, and no refunds will be issued for amounts of $10.00 or less.