Discovery Place Science
One of the top hands-on science museums in the nation, Discovery Place Science provides ever-changing, entertaining facilities that engage people in the active exploration of science, technology and nature. The Museum brings relevant, contemporary science to life through groundbreaking exhibitions,
EDUCATOR CONTACT INFO
SELECT A PROGRAM
DESIGN A MAGLEV TRAIN
Magnetic levitation (Maglev) trains are one of the fastest and most energy-efficient forms of travel today. Using the Engineering Design Process, explore this technology by designing and testing a frictionless train model
- One designated location is required for all visits requiring multiple programs on one day.
- Outreach educators must have access to the program space 60 minutes prior and 60 minutes after each session to set up and take down programs. During this time, Outreach staff is not responsible for students. Outreach educators are not responsible for monitoring drop off and pick up times before or after programs.
- A mileage fee is applied to all Outreach programs. Mileage is charged at $25.00 per Mecklenburg County visit and $.75 per mile for all out of county visits. Travel requiring overnight lodging for the educator is billed at $150.00 per educator per night.
- For class programs, the number of attendees communicated to Outreach must be accurate to ensure the optimal learning experience for your group.
- A gap fee of $125 will be charged for every 60-minute gap between programs.
- There is a minimum charge of two classes per Outreach visit.
Your location, we come to you
$150 first class/$125 each additional class (same class, same day)
R1- Read closely to determine what the text says explicitly and to make logical inferences from it; cite specific textual evidence when writing or speaking to support conclusions drawn from the text (in our case follow written instructions to complete activities and experiments and make conclusions).
R7 -Integrate and evaluate content presented in diverse media and formats, including visually and quantitatively, as well as in words (in our case participate in hands-on activities and experiments that result in observations and conclusions).
R10 -Read and understand complex literary and informational texts independently and proficiently, connecting prior knowledge and experiences to text (in our case science and technical writing).
SL1 – Prepare for and participate effectively in a range of conversations and collaborations with diverse partners, building on others’ ideas and expressing their own clearly and persuasively (in our case working in groups, sharing ideas and communicating ideas and findings with others).
SL2 – Integrate and evaluate information presented in diverse media and formats, including visually, quantitatively, and orally (in our case participation in labs and programs where ideas and questions are presented using various media).
SL4 – Present information, findings, and supporting evidence such that listeners can follow the line of reasoning and the organization, development, and style are appropriate to task, purpose, and audience (in our case working in groups, sharing ideas and communicating ideas and findings with others).
4.P.1.1 Explain how magnets interact with all things made of iron and with other magnets to produce motion without touching them.
4.P.1.2 Explain how electrically charged objects push or pull on other electrically charged objects and produce motion.
5.P.1.1 Explain how factors such as gravity, friction, and change in mass affect the motion of objects.
7.P.1.2 Explain the effects of balanced and unbalanced forces acting on an object (including friction, gravity and magnets).
Available upon request.
Cancellation notice of three weeks is required for a full refund. Cancellations with less than three weeks’ notice are non-refundable but may be rescheduled for a visit within a 12-month period. There is no fee for rescheduling as long as the class or visit is rescheduled within one week of the cancellation date and the visit is completed within the 12 months of the originally scheduled date. Changes to the number of attendees must be made three days prior to the program or visit to receive a refund. No refunds will be issued the day of the visit, and no refunds will be issued for amounts of $10.00 or less.