My Voice, My Choice, Inc. is an innovative program that utilizes theatre-based curricula coupled with classroom workshops to develop conflict resolution, productive decision making, social and emotional skills in students.
Our program targets 6-12 grades.
We embolden students with the tools to express themselves while embracing the difference in others. My Voice, My Choice, INC. resonates with all students by fostering a safe space that cultivates personal growth and social development. We engage, inspire and empower.
By meeting each student where she/he is, we work to promote productive behaviors that will better serve individual lives and the communities they inhabit. We develop all of our programs to service the needs of our clients. We apporoach learning with the charisma and creativity it takes to motivate positive change. By staying relevant and fresh, My Voice, My Choice translates well with the youth.
We create ways to implement current events into our activities, and lesson plans, fueling dicussions and participation while processing teachable moments that deter negative behaviors.
Through theatre arts and guided facilitation, My Voice, My Choice is committed to transforming behaviors and building community leaders. My Voice, My Choice INC. consists of three working components:
1. Performance/Audience Processing
2. Classroom Workshops
3. Student Campaign
Each component is crafted to inspire creativity and direction in students. By developing a Student Campaign, My Voice, My Choice participants are encouraged to step into the role of leadership to advocate for positive change in their learning environment.
Any of the three components can be offered seperately; however, the Student Campaign cannot exist without first completing the Performance or participating in a Classroom Workshop. The client has the option to choose what works best for the individual school.
With 15 years experience facilitating youth development, afterschool, and violence prevention programs in New York City schools, our facilitator enters the room prepared to engage students. Having worked as a professional actor, he fully understands the discipline and professionalism required to deliver impactful results. My Voice, My Choice, INC. blends education and entertainment for success.
11533 Bethel Church Rd
I Choose To Lead is an innovative program that utilizes theatre and in class curriculum to increase student awareness in ethics and values. Our program seeks to lower negative incidents in school and the community by presenting relatable situations, identifying the cause, and fostering a safe learning environment that encourages active participation and self expression among students. We empower youth with confidence and leadership skills to make positive contributions in their personal lives, community and school environment. We develop leaders. I Choose To Lead is a 12 week residency consisting of three components.
1. Performance/Audience Processing: Students will observe a solo performance piece that engages students grades 6-12 about current situations they might face in their immediate community by introducing conflict and poor decision making. The play poses the question – "What would you do if you were in a similar situation?" The student audience will enter the world of 5 young protagonists that are facing toxic situations. The plays objective is to introduce harmful behaviors and poor decision making for post discussion. The estimated run time for the performance is 35 minutes. The run time can be modified to accommodate individual school needs and schedules.
2. Audience Processing – Immediately concluding the performance piece, the actor facilitates a symposium created to gather audience feed back surrounding their comprehension and the effectiveness of the performance piece. The audience is charged with the task of discussing the plays relevance in connection to their own personal lives and community. Audience processing is interactive and fun. The estimated run time for the audience processing is 35 minutes. The run time is subject to change based on the schools schedule and availability.
3. Choices – Is a series of in-class workshops where the actor enters the classroom once a week for 7 weeks and facilitates a 45 minute lesson plan designed to actively engage students. Students will participate in various activities (individual and group) created to address self-concert, team building, social responsibility, conflict management and more.
4. Student Campaign – During the last 4 weeks of the residency, the teaching artist will facilitate lessons geared towards preparing a student-led campaign, for students by students. The student campaign will focus specifically on disruptive behaviors that disrupt their learning environment and community. The objective of the campaign will be to increase student awareness and offer productive and practical solutions. The final day of the residency will involve a student presentation and closing ceremony. I Choose To Lead is a fresh and exciting alternative that offers a dynamic twist to youth development and character education.
September 01, 2016 to June 1, 2017
During School Hours
The performance works well in any space. A traditional theatre space or auditorium is ideal. Traditional classroom setting or learning space is required for the classroom workshops. The space and technical requirements for the student campaign is TBD.
Intended school campus
Fees vary dependent upon schools availability and commitment to additional performances, classrooms visits, and specific materials needed to produce the Student Campaign (i.e. video, and audio equipment).
SL4 – Present information, findings, and supporting evidence such that listenerscan follow the line of reasoning and the organiztion, development, and style are appropriate to task, purpose, and audience (student audience will observe a theatre performance and particpate in post discussion to process what they observed, a list of vocabulary words relating to the play wil be introduced and discussed).
SL1 – Prepare for and participate effectively in a range of conversations and colaborations with diverse partners, building on others ideas and expressing their own clearly and persuasively (students will participate in group activities where they will have to collaborate with others to discuss and brain storm strategies and ideas to achieve a task, they will then present their work to their peers).
W7 – Conduct short as well as more sustained research projects based on focused questions, demonstrating understanding of the subject under investigation (students will be charged with the task of identifying detrimental behaviors that contribute to an unsafe school climate and create a performance piece to counteract those behaviors).
From the ARTS EDUCATION, THEATRE STANDARDS:
6-12/Comm.1 – Use movement, voice, and writing to communicate ideas and feelings. My Voice, My Choice introduces and defines role-play to demonstrate behaviors and solutions related to self-awareness and social awareness. Students examine specific situations by taking on the role of characters experiencing those situations for processing.
6-12/Comm.2 – Use performance to communicate ideas and feelings. My Voice, My Choice Inc. uses role-play and rehearsals in the classroom to prepare the students for their final presentation. The final presentation allows the students to explore roles and responsibilities of playwright, actor, producer, and director.
6-12/Aesthetics 1 – Understand how design technical theatre components, such as costumes, sets, props, makeup, lighting and sound. My Voice, My Choice Inc. empowers the students with specific roles and responsibilities to support the production of the campaign. Each student will have the opportunity to experience and learn what each role entails and be responsible for fulfilling their individual role.
My Voice, My Choice Inc. understands that unanticipated events occur and we certainly take emergencies into consideration. In our desire to function as an effective and fair organization we have adopted the following policies:
>24 hour advance notice is required when canceling an appointment. Any cancelation date will require a make-up date, to be determined and agreed upon in the immediate future. If we are unable to reschedule a new make-up visit due to a conflict in schedule involving another client (we will provide records indicating bookings) My Voice, My Choice Inc. will still be compensated for the original date.
>If the client is unable to give a 24 hour notice and the facilitator shows up to the site uninformed the school will forfeit that visit and My Voice, My Choice Inc. will be fully compensated for that visit.
>In the event of inclement weather, My Voice, My Choice Inc. will make arrangements with the school to reschedule a make-up visit(s), if applicable.
>My Voice, My Choice Inc. will exercise transparency if we are unable to make an appointment due to emergencies or illness. We will notify the client of our cancelation 24 hours prior to the visit date. In the event we are unable to make a visit we will attempt to reschedule a make-up date. If we are unable to reschedule, the client will not be billed for that day.
We appreciate your business and we look forward to serving you.